Spring Salmon with Citrus and Avocado
We eat a lot of salmon in our house, cooked in a variety of ways, throughout the entire year. But perhaps my most favorite cooking method is this quick roasting or grilling technique with fresh-from-the-garden springtime fruits and vegetables. Look at how beautiful this platter is! It’s (almost) too pretty to eat! Now that our favorite local farmer’s market, Josh’s Farmer’s Market is open for the season, you’ll find me there at least 2-3 times per week, stocking up on their freshest produce – like golden beets, fresh citrus, strawberries, arugula, and avocado. Josh, Nick, Franda and the entire team work tremendously hard to provide our community with beautiful, fresh, local ingredients – like these beautiful strawberries from Patterson Farms in China Grove. If you haven’t stopped by Josh’s yet, what are you waiting for? Your taste buds with thank you!
- 2 large salmon fillets (about 1 – 1 1/4lbs)
- 3 large golden beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large orange, grapefruit, or Minneola, sliced (Reserve one end of the citrus to use juice in the marinade)
- 6 large strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- Handful of fresh dill, chopped for garnish
- Handful of fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped for garnish
- 2-3 scallions, chopped for garnish
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Juice from citrus
- 1-2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. tarragon, minced
- 1 Tbsp. local honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Make the marinade. Combine all ingredients except oil and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in oil to create an emulsion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil – non-stick foil works best! If grilling, you won’t need the baking sheet; foil will be replaced directly on grates.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper. Lay salmon skin-side down on foil.
- Arrange sliced beets, citrus, and strawberries around salmon.
- Drizzle marinade over salmon, beets, and citrus. Roast until beets are cooked through and salmon is opaque and flaky about 10-12 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking, arrange arugula on a pretty platter. When salmon, beets, citrus, and strawberries are finished cooking, place on top of arugula. Add sliced avocado.
- Garnish with fresh dill, cilantro/parsley, and scallions.
- Serve with brown rice.